Saturday, February 6, 2016

My New Curvy Barbie #TheDollEvolves


Greetings! It has been months since I've last posted here. My apologies. I'll give an excuse, but really, it's not all that surprising. I battle depression and anxiety and it's sometimes hard to keep up with things for me. But I haven't abandoned this blog. I'll still be here, posting when I'm up to it. 



Last week, Mattel announced a new line of Barbies featuring three different body types. So of course, the very next day, I placed an order. However, many of the Barbies in this new line are either not available to preorder yet, or aren't coming out until next month, so instead of ordering one of the ones I'd really like to own, (or patiently waiting for them to become preorder-able) I settled for one I'd get sooner rather than later.

On the third, I got an email that she was shipped. And at 7am on Friday, I saw through tracking that she was on a truck ready to get delivered!


She arrived at 4pm (ish)





The box they sent her in was rather large, but I suppose they don't bother carrying smaller sizes.

Large box



lots of paper

One lone doll, but there she is!

The packaging for the dolls are cute.


I got number 27: Sweetheart Stripes (Curvy)


On the back of the box is a picture of all of the dolls in the new line.


In March I'll be getting numbers 19, 29, and 23. And I'm TRYING to patiently wait for the preorder for 33 and 26. (funny, the two I really want are first and last in this image)



Carefully opened packaging


As soon as I removed her from her packaging I was already kind of disappointed. Her legs are hard plastic, not the vinyl I was hoping for. So she can't bend at the knee. Shame. It's been years since I've purchased a Barbie though, and to be honest, the last Barbie I bought I never removed from the box - I made the purchase because I was angry at it - so I no longer have any idea whether Barbies even come with vinyl legs anymore... anyone?



My new Barbie

I've never really been a fan of Barbie Sunglasses.


Side view


Her shoes/feet



Sitting / face closeup

She has some pretty green eyes. And some ugly fuchsia lips, but hey, what is barbie without her abysmal lip colors?



Her top and her skirt

Personally, this particular doll was not on my original to-buy list. I adore her hair color - especially since I'm planning on dyeing my own hair shades of blue and green soon - but her outfit looks terrible to me. The black and white stripes on her pink and black peplum shirt looks awful, and the lightly stitched with pink denim skirt looks stupid. I'm also not too big of a fan of the wedges she's wearing, but I suppose they're my favorite part of her outfit. And WHY does she have purple sunglasses? Her outfit is pink and black and white and denim. No purple anywhere.

Essentially, the outfit is so bad it would have been a deal breaker had I not been so hell-bent on getting a curvy doll ASAP. But I'm sure I'm not in the majority on that. I'm probably missing the fashion statement in this outfit. I might try making my girl a new outfit.


Moved her sunglasses / back shot of her hair


For now I've got her sunglasses on top of her head. They might stay there, might not. *shrugs*
In the pic above you can see her hair better. The top layer of her hair is pretty much all blue. Then there's black underneath and there's a tiny bit of blue behind her ears. The picture above shows a large amount of black there, but that's because I've pulled the blue on that side through to the other side of the sunglasses. If the glasses were not there, the blue would be across that black, just like the other side.

And now for the pic I'm sure you're curious about, curvy barbie without the clothes.



Front view / side view / back view

I don't currently have an original sized doll to compare her to, so I'll have to do this again next month, but here you can see her exact curves.

She's mostly wider. Wider waist, wider hips, bigger legs. A bigger butt maybe, but not much of a stomach - that's still pretty flat.


Over all...

27 Sweetheart Stripes

I quite like the curvy Barbie! Though I may despise this one's outfit, I love her. I'll be trying to make her a new outfit soon enough, and next month she'll have friends from the line - a tall, a petite, and an original. So I'll likely have a compare and contrast post too!


I'll finish up this post with a couple of kinda silly shots of her. What do you think of the new dolls? ♥


Does it look like she's trying to take a selfie?






















This shot's better, right?? #thumb





Hugs!













No comments:

Post a Comment