Wednesday, February 17, 2016

My New Petite Barbie #TheDollEvolves


I've already covered Curvy and Original, now it's time for Petite!



23: Love That Lace

This was my other first choice doll out of the four. I love her outfit and her hair style. So cute!




Least favorite part of the packaging.

This being the third doll I've removed from the packaging, I decided it was about time I share my most hated part of the way Mattel secures the dolls in their box. Do you see it? It's a tagging barb. (I had to google that) Yeah. Those annoying little plastic things on tags that you're supposed to remove before you wear or play with something. And each doll has two in her head. I hated removing these. Maybe it's because I didn't want to savagely rip up the package so I couldn't see a better way, but I had to run a blade carefully between the hair and the backing. And then there's the leftover bits of plastic still sticking out of the two spots in the back of her head. I've tried pushing them straight in, and pulling them out, but they won't budge. Overall, I don't think think these plastic bits will bother me all that much, but I imagine it would be quite annoying if I was 20+ years younger and planning on playing with the doll.

I just don't see the point of them. Just secure her at the neck, so what if her head turns a bit during processing/shipment? It's a dang Barbie. If her head is turned one way, we can turn it back when we've opened the package ourselves. I remember when I was younger, the longer haired Barbies used to be secured by this long flat piece of plastic that was sewn across her hair. You just cut off one knot of the thread and pulled it and it would come loose. I don't remember ever having a short haired Barbie, (well I might have given my long haired ones haircuts, but that doesn't count) so I don't know how short haired dolls would be secure, but that's irrelevant. Because all four of these Barbies are pinned to the back of their packaging exactly the same way, short hair or not.

Am I just missing a super easy fix for this? Am I bothered by this way too much? I don't know. Moving on...


front view / side / back

I adore this lovely lady's clothes. Definitely my favorite outfit of all four of my new dolls. I wish the boots were a bit of a darker brown, but eh, I can live with it.


Boots / bare feet

In my last post I mentioned how sad I was that my original's shoes were too loose. Well these babies are quite tight. It takes a bit of force to remove these boots, and just as much work to get them back on. I don't mind that so much though, at least they're certainly not going to fall off!


side views and front view of her hair

I think her hair is adorable. It's a standard bob and bangs haircut with the ends tucked in. At least, that's what it's supposed to be. You can see on the right there, that her ends on that side don't tuck in, they kinda curl back. But I actually think this is fine, because I can relate. I've had a bob before and I know personally how difficult it was to manage. Straightening your hair is one thing, but trying to get the ends of your bob tucked the right way? I feel your pain, Barbie. I feel you.


clothes

These clothes! The lacy top is too cute. I adore the extra panel of lace in the middle of the torso. Compared to the lazy simple stitching down the top of my original doll's dress, it almost feels like they worked much harder on this outfit than most. The skirt is cute and shiny and soft and super thin. It's got an elastic waist that isn't bulky at all. I LOVE THEM.


necklace

She has a cute, silver statement necklace on, and it's kept in place by a rubber band. I'm grateful for their efforts in securing the necklace, because I know how hard it was to keep Barbie necklaces in place. If only younger me had access to tiny rubber bands and had half a mind to use them to keep things on my barbies. Oh, the accessories I might still have!




Here's a shot of Petite without clothes:

front / side / back

In my opinion, petite has the oddest body shape of all of my new dolls. Her front view looks okay, but look at her side...

another side view

Her ribcage/back is kind of broad, narrows down to her waist without much of a rear end. This reminds me of a more male physique than a woman's. And the way her hip joint is connected to her thigh looks very weird to me. If I saw this as a kid, she would never be in a swimsuit. Ha. And did you see how tiny her feet are?! As if normal Barbie feet aren't small enough, this petite Barbie looks like she's got the feet of Barbie's little sister Stacie.



I suppose that's the end of this review. Overall, I love this doll. I love her hair, I love her adorable outfit. Her boots are okay and her body shape seems a little wonky, but she's still petite, so I'll take it! ♥










No comments:

Post a Comment