Friday, January 23, 2015

5 Fandom Friday - Songs That Changed My Life


Hello again! Another Friday, another 5 Fandom Friday! This week's topic should prove interesting... mostly because I'm certain I have songs that fit this bill, but as soon as I'm supposed to write about them... *POOF* So this list will likely have some favorites thrown in, because really, if it's a favorite song, then it's had to have affected your life in some way, probably positive, and therefore it's a change - right?


Songs That Changed My Life







1: MMMBob by Hanson
It is... really hard to think of songs that changed my life. This one popped up immediately though. It was one of the first songs of the "boy band" phase of the late 90's. Hanson, Backstreet Boys, NSYNC, BBMak, 5ive, 98 Degrees... I was a fan of all of them. I still am. In '97, I was 11, a pre-teen ready to fall in love with anything. Devon Sawa was my very first celebrity crush, and was the reason I started buying teen-y-bop magazines. And then the boybands of the late 90's showed up... and I had posters plastered over every inch of my walls. I loved it all. This song essentially started the era where 80% of the posters in my room were boy bands. (with 15% being Devon Sawa, 3% Stone Cold Steve Austin, and 2% misc) Of those boy band posters, most were BSB or NSYNC, but Hanson was there too, and I'll always remember them as the ones who started it for me. Listening to those boy bands will always calm me down, bringing me back to childhood.







2: Something I Never Had by Lindsay Lohan

My current boyfriend's longest relationship - before me - was 6 months. Mine was 4½ years. While the love I had for that guy was real at the time, once it was over... I began allowing myself to see the relationship in full. The things that my mind refused to let me see when we were together. I could see that the longer the relationship lasted, the longer the love was one sided. It wasn't a good relationship to be in, and in the end, I was grateful he ended it. I don't remember how I found this song at around the time of the breakup, but it helped me through it. And made me re evaluate how I should handle things in relationships.






3: Right Here Waiting by Richard Marx
As a kid, before MMMBop and boy bands, this was my most favorite song in the world. After boy bands, and even now, this song occasionally tops my list of favorite songs. It's just so... pretty.







4: Gryffindor Rally Cry - Ministry of Magic

This song introduced me to Wrock (Wizard rock - Harry Potter fan songs) and I fell in love - similar to how I fell when I was 11 and listening to MMMBop. It made me look in to wrock and find more fabulous songs to listen to. I also found a love for Jason Munday and Luke Conard and blah be blah bitty. In 2011, when Jason Munday, Alex Carpenter, and Christian Caldeira went on their ConTour, I was super excited to go to their Chicago date. But then an unexpected trip to Bay City, Michigan happened. So what did I do? I borrowed a car and drove from Bay City to Ann Arbor, Michigan in order to catch their tour there. Essentially this song and others in wrock made me realize the Harry Potter fandom isn't dead, and may never be.







5: All for Love by Bryan Adams, Rod Stewart, and Sting

This song. Man, this song. I had this single on cassette tape, and I played it over and over and over again. In younger years, if Right Here Waiting wasn't my favorite song, All for Love was. And still now, I love it so much. I'm a sucker for the right chords, and these guys hit some pretty ones.




That's all I suppose!



Iggle Squiggle's 5 Fandom Friday


No comments:

Post a Comment