Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Swap Project - I Am Chalkboard


So I knew I wanted to do something chalkboard related for my #LoveYourInnerGeek swap buddy. Why? Erm... because I got some clear chalkboard coating for Christmas. ROFL. Yep. That's the reason! So I was wandering the internets to find chalkboard diy ideas. I came across this tutorial for chalkboard necklaces.


http://poppiesatplay.blogspot.com/2011/06/chalkboard-jewelry.html

 I didn't read it, because it seemed simple enough, and I know I didn't want to make a necklace. I did, however, like the idea of the "I AM" being a permanent fixture on the board. I decided this would look good as a refrigerator magnet.


I wandered Hobby Lobby aimlessly, not sure how I wanted the magnet to look, when I found this:


And the finished product came to me in an instant. So I purchased it. Along with some small wooden peg things.




Next up, I was dreading trying to freehand the "I am". I knew what I wanted it to look like, but I don't have confidence in my ability to freehand neatly. The thought came to mind to print out what I wanted, then cut out the letters for a stencil... but I don't have a printer right now, and I didn't want to have to go all the way to Office Max to get three letters printed. Plus, what if I chose the wrong font, or used the wrong size or blah blah blah...


Luckily, I remembered my sister-in-law just purchased a Cricut! So the next time I saw her, I brought the little board with me and explained what I wanted and asked if she could help.


She used some scrap vinyl and printed out the "I am" at 1 inch tall using two fonts I expressed interest in. I chose the first font.


When I cut around the already cut letters, I realized I didn't like how little space between the "I" and the "am" there was, so I snipped between and spaced it out just a little further.




Then I used plain white acrylic pain to fill in the stencil.

Two coats to be sure.


When I removed the vinyl, I noticed immediately that the vinyl didn't press that smoothly on to the surface, because some of the paint goes outside the sharp lines of the letters. Either I didn't push it down enough, or the grooves in the board made it impossible to get it flush. Doesn't matter though, because I actually love those extra bits.




Next I covered the board in the clear chalkboard coating. Following directions, you need to do one coat vertically, then wait one hour before doing a second coat horizontally.


I actually waited another hour then added a third coat vertically again, just to make sure. Then you have to wait 24 hours for it to cure.



While waiting, I grabbed the wooden pegs and decided which of the two sizes I wanted to use.


I chose the smaller one.


And painted it black.


The next day, as instructed, I lightly rubbed chalk all over the surface in order to condition the new chalkboard. Then you wipe it off and it's ready to go!!




It took me a couple of tries to write "Loved" in a way that didn't look like a total mess. LOL. And then when I managed it, it was off center, so I added a small heart.


In hindsight, I should have written on the board after I was done with the whole thing, because then I had to be extra careful to not mess with the front of the board. lol. Ah well.


I have magnets already. But I went out and purchased these smaller "super strong" magnets, to be certain it would hold.




Then I grabbed my twine, hoping it matched well enough with the board's twine. Of course, now I realize if it hadn't have matched, I could have just replaced the twine on the board. No matter, my twine was a bit thicker, and is slightly different in shade color, but close enough!!


I hot glued the end of a piece of twine to the middle of a new piece of chalk, then hot glued the other end around the black peg.

I filled the inside of the peg with hot glue.


Then found out the small super magnet fits pretty well into the back of the peg. Score! I'm a little paranoid though, hopefully I glued it sufficiently enough!


A small dab of glue at the top of the peg to keep the chalkboard in place and the whole thing is finished!


Super happy with how it turned out!



And the magnet seems to work well enough for this. I actually don't think it's too heavy overall, but still the fact that the magnet fits right in to the little peg works too perfectly for me to regret buying them. lol.




My refrigerator is black. This magnet looks a lot better with a lighter background, but still, I like it!! :D







No comments:

Post a Comment