Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Thriftbooks experience #2, and also, my need to use Amazon

Helloooo, here again with another post about thriftbooks.com.


 I mentioned in my last thriftbooks post that I ordered a love story book for my iggle swap partner. Well, I ordered those in early February! And I didn't hear from my iggle swap partner until the 25th. From her, I learned she enjoyed paranormal romance.... and The Princess Bride, while many things, is not a paranormal romance. ROFL. *sad trumpet*

So, I went back to thriftbooks to pick up a book for her that actually fits the genre she likes. I decided to get the book Warm Bodies, by Isaac Marion. I think a zombie romance counts as a paranormal love story right? Heee.

Aaaaand then, just like last time, I decided I would also like a copy of Warm Bodies. I've only ever seen the movie, but I've been meaning to read the book. I wandered on to the site and ordered two copies - $4 each!

This time, both copies are fairly recent, so I didn't care which one I keep. I also noticed that, this time, they were being sent from two different places. One coming from Maryland, one from Washington. Opposite sides of the US! Haha.

I decided I would send the first book to get to me.

But alas! Within hours of my order on February 25th, I received an email stating they could not find one of the copies I'd ordered! They issued a refund for the book, so I went back to see if I could find another copy for around the same price. I couldn't. Soooo I ordered a copy for $5 on Amazon.



This go around, Thriftbooks didn't even email me to let me know my order was shipped. A tiny bit frustrating, but so long as it's sent in a timely manner... it's okay. Checking my order history and finding it though there, I saw that they mailed my book out on February 26th - the day after I ordered. But it didn't say when it was scheduled to arrive.

The Thriftbooks book arrived on March 7th. And it's used from a Library.

Tada!


And here's the page that's stamped:


Both with what I'm assuming is the name of the library in which it used to live, and with a disclaimer that it no longer lives in that library.


And here's the publisher page:


I believe this says it's a first edition hardcover from Atria Books.


So, my first order took... 7 days to get here. 9 if you count from the day I ordered. This time it took 9 days, or 10 from the day I ordered. So, not too much of a difference between the two. The first order from Reno Nevada, the second from Washington.



The amazon copy didn't get here until the 14th. Over two weeks after I ordered. Which is crazy ridiculous in my opinion. I had been trying to wait for this copy of the book in hopes that I might send this one instead of the big bulky hardcover, but I couldn't wait any longer, and had to pay over $20 in shipping for that library book to send to Portugal. *sighs*

So here's what is now my copy of the book:

front

back
The fact that they've got a line from Stephenie Meyer on both the hardcover and this paperback kind of urks me a little. I mean, I know she's known for Twilight, which is a ridiculous love story in and of itself, but Twilight is a YA book. And this Warm Bodies is trying to pass off as an Adult Fiction. So why would they put her on the cover unless they were trying to market for YA? And if they are marketing for YA, why wasn't this book found in the YA section of my closest book store?? I don't know, I just... I feel like having her there might turn folks away from this book, as there are a lot of adults out there who refuse to read Twilight,* and might not find an endorsement from Meyer as very appealing.

*Please note that I have, in fact, read the entire Twilight series, multiple times, and enjoy them despite the ridiculousness. So it is not me I am referring to.


publisher page
This is the paperback edition from December 2012.



I really wish this copy had found its way sooner to me. I would have sent it instead, as I think it looks nicer than an old library book, and also because it's so much smaller, probably would have been less in shipping. Ah well. The upside is that my swap partner is getting the cover that isn't tied to the movie, and it is a hardcover!




No comments:

Post a Comment