Wednesday, March 4, 2015

What I bring to a convention

My dad and I have been going to conventions for a handful of years now -  our first one in 2011. (And then the bug caught us so hard we went to two more in 2011. lol.)

I know a lot of people blog about what they bring to a convention, but I thought I'd throw a post up of my own experiences too. And what with this weekend being mine and my dad's first convention of the year, (Wizard World Fan Fest Chicago) what better time to share?


What I bring to a convention:




1: A backpack!
I almost always bring a backpack to the conventions we attend. For a couple of the smaller cons - like Chicago Star Trek Con and Chicago TARDIS - I will bring a tote bag instead, but for the larger ones, a backpack is where it's at! It holds everything I'll need and usually has quite a bit of extra room for smaller items I end up buying at the cons.

2: My wallet
I don't keep money in my wallet - my wallet is solely for identification and card holding purposes. And I don't take my purse with me to cons. So when a con comes along, I'll pull my wallet out of my purse and slip it into a small pocket of my backpack!

3: Cash
I always bring cash. I dislike using credit at a con, although I've been seeing more and more booths that do take credit. I still prefer the cash, because it's easier for me to make sure I stay under budget! I always slip the cash in to a pocket on my person, so I don't have to rummage through my backpack to get it.

4: Snacks
I never like buying food from a convention. It's usually overpriced. Sometimes we'll have lunch at C2E2, but mostly, I prefer to just snack throughout the day. Jerky is a favorite, as are pretzels. And small hard candies, like lifesavers, are nice to suck on when you're waiting in line for a photo op, autograph, or a panel. I've also been known to take granola bars and fruit snacks.

5: Pain killers
Ibuprofen is a must. I would hate to end up in a rotten mood from some headache that's decided to attack me in the middle of a convention. And I don't know if it's just me, but when I'm anxious or nervous - which always happens at a con for me because I'm afraid of crowds - it's nice to have a tummy medicine with me too.

6: Camera
My camera is awful. It's years old and falling apart. But best believe I'll be taping it together to bring with me to the con this weekend! I'll probably also depend on my phone for some pictures, but yes, a camera is quite useful!

7: A Binder
It's handy to have a sturdy binder to put things in. I use one with folder pockets of course. Postcards or small prints you buy, autographs and photo ops... then you don't have to go running down a booth that sells those protective sheets.

8: WATER
On the backpack I bring, there's a pocket on each side that fits water, and I put a bottle in each. Stay hydrated!! Most cons have water out for you too! Take advantage of them!

9: A Phone Charger
There's always a plug somewhere. And though I'll try my best to make sure my phone doesn't die in the middle of a con day, it happens!

10: Deodorant/Antiperspirant 
This is precautionary. Of course I use some in the morning before I leave, but sometimes it's super warm, and I feel like I've soaked through my shirt. And I certainly don't want to stink up the joint. So an extra deodorant stashed in my bag is needed.

11: A Brush
Sometimes I put my hair up, but if I'm doing a photo op, I'll likely wear my hair down, so I need to bring a brush to make sure I'm looking at least somewhat decent when I'm getting a photo with someone I love!

12: Makeup Bag Full of Essentials
Essentials being light lipstick, powder, mascara, eye drops, lens solution, sometimes even a small pallet of shadow. Essentially a mini of anything I'm wearing that day, in case I make a mess of my face during the day. I'll usually stick a lip balm or a sheer lipstick in my jean pocket for regular use during the day.

13: 5 Hour Energy
I am terrible when it comes to sleep. Insomnia is almost every day for me. And if I have some event planned for the next day - exciting or not - my mind will NOT shut up the night before. Leaving me with precious little sleep. So a 5 Hour Energy is needed. I don't chug the whole thing at once though. My body can't take a full strength cup of coffee without freaking out, so it sure can't take a whole serving of Energy at once. Heh. I just take sips throughout the day, when I feel my energy dipping. It's pretty useful, and sometimes I don't even finish the bottle that day.

14: Poster Tube
Okay, this is always brought, yes. But, not usually by me. My dad brings it, but if he didn't, I would! And I do tend to hold it sometimes if he's got a photo op to go to on his own or something. These are handy for any prints/posters that are too large to fit in my binder. We always get a VIP pass at Chicago Comic Con that's for a specific actor we love, and those always come with an artist done print of that actor. My dad lost his of Morena Baccarin two years back, when he decided to just hold it in the bag it came in, instead of sticking it in his poster tube. Never again! Those prints go straight in the poster tube.

*Not Pictured: A tiny notebook and a pen
You never know when you might need to write something down!



This all sure seems like a lot, but really, I've needed every single thing I've packed! What about you? Do you have a list of things you always bring to a convention?

No comments:

Post a Comment